Have you hosted an author visit at your school? Do you want to host one?
Here are 5 tips for a successful author visit:
- Engage your students at least 2 weeks before the visit. Suggested activities include creating artwork that relates to the author’s books, writing student books and decorating classrooms.
- Make sure you exchange important contact information with the author before he or she arrives (cell phone, email, alternate phone numbers). This is particularly important if you are picking the author up from an airport.
- Make sure any special needs of the author are taken care of. You want them to be at their best when giving their presentations to your students.
- Check with some of the previous schools that an author has visited. You can often learn valuable information to ensure a good experience for both the author and your school.
- Encourage your students to think about good questions to ask before the presentation is given.
If you have any tips to share, please click on the Comments link and help others to have a good author visit.